Our current Chair, Sarah Simpson, is planning to stand down from the Board of Trustees in October, and we are therefore looking to appoint a new Trustee who has the skills, experience and enthusiasm to lead our Board and succeed her in this role in due course. As part of our recruitment, we will also consider appointing a Vice-Chair to support and stand in for the Chair as required.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is a passionate advocate for young people’s emotional health and wellbeing to lead a team of dedicated individuals making a big difference in our local community. We are committed to achieving our Vision that “Every young person has a welcoming space where they feel valued, supported and listened to.”
Our Chair will
- Lead the Board in ensuring the effective performance of its governance and legal responsibilities and in developing a long-term strategy for the organisation with measurable goals
- Support and guide the OTR Manager and team of staff to achieve agreed objectives.
- Act as an ambassador and the public face of the Charity in partnership with the OTR Manager
- The ability to communicate effectively and collaboratively with staff and Trustees inspiring and maintaining a culture of trust and transparency
- Effective ambassador with tact, diplomacy and negotiation capabilities
- Willingness to commit time to the demands of the role, including attending events out of office hours. The anticipated time commitment is four to five days per month with availability during the day and some evenings.
Knowledge and Skills
- No previous Chair experience necessary as we will look at transferable skills from prior Trusteeships and/or other experience from leading formal committees in a corporate environment
- Charitable sector and current issues affecting small charities
- A knowledge of or keen interest in counselling and a passion for supporting young people’s mental health
- Financial management, funding strategies, funding sources and fundraising
- Knowledge of local funding organisations an advantage
- Effective media management
The Charity’s Chair (and Board members) can serve up to a nine-year term subject to triennial review.
The vice-Chair role, if that is the final model, will have a similar candidate profile and will support and stand in for the Chair as required on sub-Committees or Board meetings as well as represent the Charity at external events.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information about this role, including a full candidate role description and details of how to apply. If you would like an informal chat about the role and the Charity, you can also contact us via that email address and we would be happy to set up a call. For more information about Off The Record’s work, please see our latest Annual Review.
Deadline for applications: 2 May 2022